You are here

These are the proceedings from meetings of the Open Space Institute.
  • Meeting Date: 18 Apr 2011

    Board Notes — OSI-US, Thursday, 18 April 2011, 4:15– 5:15 PST

    Present: Christine, Karen, Doug, Suzanne, Ed and Lisa (briefly)

    Facilitator: Christine

    Notes taker: Suzanne

    There was a moment of silence followed by individual check-ins.

    1. First story, start providing content, with an invitational feel

    The intent was for Suzanne to publish a summary for the OS community of what transpired at our face-to-face retreat in Florida conveying the essence of our conversations. We wanted the write-up to have an invitational feel that would attract others everywhere (facilitators, groups and OS institutes) to join as we plan future initiatives and projects.  This write-up was posted on April 13, 2011.

    2. Purchase Skype Premium

    Harold purchased this on behalf of the board. We look forward to testing it at our next monthly board meeting.  Doug expressed he would like the opportunity to do a dry run from his location to confirm that it is working for him.

    3. Barry Owen to join the Board

    We were delighted to hear that Barry will be joining the Board.  Suzanne to follow-up on Peggy’s initial outreach to him explaining that we are in the process of choosing best day/time for future meetings and also to connect by phone as a way of making his first meeting as welcoming as possible.

    4.  More efficient meetings

    We agreed that an email will be sent out prior to our meetings to determine ahead of time who will be facilitating and who will be taking notes rather than discussing this at the actual meeting. A copy of the “bin” which serves as our basic agenda will also be sent. Suzanne to handle on a monthly basis.

    5. On Line Web presence

    Christine will be reaching out to Ed for government audience and Suzanne for corporate audience groups) as we seek to have tailored materials about Open Space for their needs.

    6.  Reimbursement by board members to cover expenses from face-to-face meeting

    Board members will cover part of the cost (food and a few miscellaneous expenses) ; the Board will assume the rest.  All members paid for  their own travel costs.

    7. Schedule meeting to draft the Open Space Minifesto-ing Invitation

    Doug has scheduled a meeting for Tuesday April 19th to discuss this initiative which is briefly described in the summary proceedings from our face-to-face Florida sessions.

    8. Revise the About page - Peggy, Harold and Lisa - 30 April 2011

    By way of email, Lisa has indicated that she sent a draft to Peggy and Harold and was suggesting that much of the text created for the Board welcome one-pager could be used for (also) the 'About' page.

    9. Next meeting (to be determined)

    Christine will be sending out a doodle to determine preferred time/date for our monthly meetings.

    Remaining Items in the Bin

    ·         Downloadable audio for understanding OS  Harold Shinsato

    ·         Learning Map Harold Shinsato

    ·         Bin Gardener Each Meeting

    ·         Host a clean-up of Wikepedia OST entry Harold Shinsato – 2 June 2011

    ·         On line web presence (Government - Ed; Corporate - Suzanne) Christine

    ·         Get a draft logo image  Peggy Holman – 30 April 2011

    ·         Revise the About page – Peggy, Harold and Lisa to review – 30 April 2011

  • Meeting Date: 04 Apr 2011




    2011 Annual Meeting Task Oriented Outcomes

    April 4, 2011


    We identified work in three broad thematic areas:

    • Grounding our purpose

    • Open Space Manifesto-ing
    • Resourcing Open Space

    The notes that follow describe key ideas and actions in each arena.

    A few incidentals, items for the bin, and our individual offerings are also below.

    • Purpose

    PURPOSE, as stated In our by-laws:

    The Open Space Institute(US) holds space for Open Space. Open Space Institute(US) serves by:

    • Providing access to resources on Open Space,
    • Connecting individuals and groups to inform, inspire, mentor, and sustain each other in opening and holding space, AND
    • Being an inclusive learning community.
    • What shorthand language brings us back to the energy of Harold’s picture?  E.g., Cultivating the community of practice/network or Connecting people who are opening space
    • Principle of simplicity: what are the trim tab activities?
      • Manifesto: Focusing question
      • Resources for different audiences to Open Space: Connecting the community (resources)
    • Next steps


    • Open Space Wo-Manifesting
      • Purpose: Create a credential without certification.  Legitimize without constricting.
      • Design a process that invites people to sign on to the manifesting and its creation
      • Next steps
        • Clarify a focusing question the manifesto
          • E.g., What does it mean to open space?
        • Design a process
        • Draft an invitation
        • On point: Harold & Doug
          • Thinking partners: Peggy, Lisa, Karen


    • Resourcing opening space
      • Purpose: Increasing accessibility to a variety of audiences
      • Develop materials for target audiences: e.g., corporations, communities, government agencies
        • Consider running contests to attract artwork, stories, other materials.
        • Establish a “go to” site for OS that works for these different audiences.
        • Create Open Space Institute Fellows
        • Market the materials as a revenue source for OSI-US
        • Note: the notes about designing an architecture are more wide-ranging as the discussion happened during the “what’s next” conversation.
        • Design an architecture – a rigorous and resilient frame
          • Fund it through an RFP process
          • Engage people who are passionate in their foresight
          • Share materials across institutes and world-wide groups
          • Be mindful of Christopher Alexander’s quality without a name
          • Bring old content (later)
            • AI practitioner – AI and OS issue
            • At Work issue
            • Stories, the OSI-US newsletter
          • Notes on stories/curation
            • With attribution
            • Ask questions that invite stories
          • Asset mapping
          • OS US Web site
            • Help us see who we are
            • A place for the living questions
          • First story, from Suzanne’s voice.  Start providing content, with an invitational feel – Suzanne (April 11)
            • Pay it forward
            • Praise it forward
            • Stories, from the inside out
            • Honoring the elders
          • Next steps
            • Convene call on OS US Web site
              • Governmental language
              • Corporate language
            • First story, start providing content, with an invitational feel
              • Pay it forward
              • Praise it forward
              • Stories, from the inside out
              • Honoring the elders
            • Wikipedia
    • Incidentals



    • Convene call on OS US Web site  - Christine (mid-April)
      • Governmental language – Christine and Ed
      • Corporate language – Christine and Suzanne
    • First story, start providing content, with an invitational feel – Suzanne (April 11)
    • Wikipedia – Harold  (start in early June)
    • Setting up a communication around manifesto-ing: inviting the question, opening to the community, process – Harold & Doug (schedule by April 11, conversation by May 1)
    • Ask Steven about creating an image for our logo (3 intersecting ripples) – Peggy (April 30)
    • Revise the about page – Peggy, Harold & Lisa review (Peggy - April 30)
    • Reach out to Barry Owen for the board, “draft the board packet” – Peggy  - April 30
    • Set up Skype for OSI-Board calls - Harold for next call
    • Reimburse for travel to/from board meeting - Harold



    Lisa’s offerings

    • Resources for different audiences, tools and concrete things, feedback on access (does it read for everyone? Is it universal lanague? Are we working across culture?)
    • Support for Fellows
    • Helping ID language, requirements for invitations, for requests we put out and that come to us
    • Materials development – look at how what we put out can be spun off for other memes.
    • “Contests” – language, why, wherefore, what you get, what’s it mean
    • Co-ownership – always having the other institutes at our side, including income generation


    Karen’s offerings

    • Reflecting, feedback on anything, everything
    • World-wide open space connections – with Harold


    Peggy’s offering

    • I’ll be a thinking partner
    • I’ll be here until I’m no longer needed


    Christine’s offerings

    • Steward the collection working on lanaguage for the web so that its appealing, inviting to all kinds of people
    • Thinking partner on other things.  If you need me ask.
    • I’m here until you no longer need me.


    Suzanne’s offerings

    • The invitaitnoal spirit of OS, all voices past, present, future
    • My approach speaking with vulnerability so that others feel they can speak their truth
    • Start with the story that tells about what the board has done, as an opening, guided by wise voices, that don’t quell my voice
    • Working on the corporate voice with Christine and others
    • Fellows – see where that leads, hear personal experiences of what that might mean based on what has meaning for them


    Harold’s offerings

    • The things I signed up for
    • Edge on OS Manafesting


    Doug’s offerings

    • Invite life and living into the community, inviting questions that invite life in both manifestoing and resourcing




  • Meeting Date: 03 Apr 2011


    2011 Annual Retreat - Inviting all Memes

    Host: Christine

    Attending: Peggy, Suzanne, Harold, Doug, Karen, Ed, Lisa



    Develop materials for target audiences: e.g., corporations, communities, government agencies.

    Consider running contests to attract artwork, stories, other materials.

    Establish a “go to” site for OS that works for these different audiences.

    Market the materials as a revenue source for OSI-US.


  • Meeting Date: 03 Apr 2011


    OSI-US Board Retreat 2011: Topic: Really %@$*&#^$)-y facilitated events that participants feel frustrated / unhappy / pushed  rushed / unproductive / upset etc. about that are called Open Space but really weren’t


    1) What does well prepared, well-facilitated, thoughtfully held Open Space offer to participants?


    2) What are the things you’ve seen / heard / noticed done by a facilitator that make it not Open Space (even when its called Open Space)?


    3) What are your feelings about that?


    4) What does it mean about our / OSI-US’s role / purpose / responsibilities?



    Discussed learning the basics of Open Space, and how to support the form plus the substance (as some forms enter popular culture - the form often stays without the substance). About how some people want to 'improve upon' Open Space. Or take just parts that do not hold together as form or process, but call it Open Space. Or rigidly hold to it.



    Have been in ‘Open Space’ events where the organizers did not set the container. You could not even have a marketplace. Although could see that it was well-intended and it was better than other events I have been in that were not done well.


    The real depth of what Harrison offers is so rich and juicy and it would be even more rich and juicy if people were doing the pre-work and understood the depth and understood the importance of ‘Maybe you need to get some training.  Maybe facilitation is something you learn over a lifetime.’ 


    What’s at the heart of Open Space - and the means of committing to that core as a pledge. A self-organizing, self-selection kind of quality about that.


    There is this thing we call Open Space Technology that’s solid. That’s been tested over time. Would like to preserve that core.

    All humans all have different perspectives - all look at same object differently. We all have a core of Open Space. We still have a core.


    Something that happened that started the Agile movement was a manifesto . 

    Co-create a manifesto about what is good core Open Space - invite co-creation, invite people who convene and facilitate Open Space to join this pledge.



    Explore archives for Appreciative Inquiry into Open Space session at 2004 WOSonOS in Goa. Explore also in archives 'what is Open Space and what is not'.


    Cannot imagine our community would create a police state with a ruling. But the flow of information about what creates good Open Space - thoughtfully planned and held Open Space - is something to share and something to know.  There is a lot aside from what is visible to the eye.  The same is true about facilitation in general. And also important to share is that there is indeed learning and wisdom to be shared, and some thinking, research and experience about that. Good to increase the flow of that knowledge about how to use and facilitate the dialogue method of Open Space.



  • Meeting Date: 02 Apr 2011

    2011 Annual Retreat - Tackling the Bin

    Host: Peggy

    Attending: Doug, Lisa, Karen, Christine, Ed, Suzanne, Harold


    Peggy asked: What do the items in the bin tell us about ourselves and our larger intentions that would help us handle it more effectively?



    Doug noted most of the stuff doesn’t have much energy, just stuff.

    Morphed into exploring the notion of an executive director – paid staff.

    That led to a juicy conversation on networked organizing models.  Suzanne described the lively way her organization works.  Project based, with young people doing work that excites them, supported with respectful, adult-adult mentoring.

    Harold spoke of another model of organizing --  Gangplank, Derek Neighbors.

    Later, Peggy mentioned Hacks and Hackers using and is taking off.



    The networked organization conversation led to the notion of “fellows”.  Lisa sparked the conversation.  The idea is we offer up invitations to contribute to Open Space by doing a project as an “OSI Fellow”.  The projects could come from us or from the person.  The fellowship provides a certain panache for acknowledging contribution or adding panache to a resume.  

    The fellowship lasts for a year and/or the length of a project.

    Two items we mentioned but didn’t resolve:

    • What criteria create a fertile container for being a fellow? (e.g., have done OS, are passionate about the project)
    • How might mentoring support fellows?  (Is being a mentor another form of fellowship?)



    We ended by looking at the specifics in the bin and agreed:

    • Every item has a name (or two) or is deleted
    • We’ll update the bin in real-time during OSI board meetings, with someone acting as the “bin gardener”
    • If an item hasn’t been touched in 3 months, it goes.  If someone wants to re-invigorate it, they can bring it back later.
    • A back-up idea: set a “work in progress limit”: only a set number of items can be in the bin.  If we reach capacity, something goes.
  • Meeting Date: 16 Mar 2011

    Board Notes — OSI-US, Thursday, 17 March 2011, 8:00–9:30 PST

    Present: Harold Peggy Lisa Doug Ed Phelim Suzanne

    Facilitator: Lisa

    Notes taker: Doug

    There was a moment of silence followed by individual check-ins.

    1. Teleconference:

    No further work was done on this; leave in bin.

    2. Downloadable Audio:

    Looking into options; leave in bin

    3. Learning Map:

    Work is progressing but seems to be slowing a bit.

    4. Online Web presence:

    There is a schedule for transferring the OSlist to our Website, and that is working out well; this will allow us to transition into a more active presence in the community.

    5. OpenGov:

    About 30 events will happen. GovLoop has been helping and might be a container. Most of what remains is about technology and data.


    Drop from bin.

    6. Mikk Sarv:

    We have not heard back from him for help with the book.

    7. Gift letter:

    Time for us to make our contributions

    8. Loan support:

    Keep in bin

    9.  home for osi-us papers hard and soft copies
    We have a bunch of this stuff;
    Soft: perhaps Harold could create a space for it
    Basecamp has a place for files
    Perhaps have it a couple of places
    Could bring to face to face

    10. Finance

    ask Harold to bring update to face to face

    11. Online bookstore:

    Leave in bin

    12. Potential for strategic collaboration:

    Keep in bin

    13. Purpose of Board:

    Good thing for the face to face meeting.

    14. Privacy issues:

    Keep in bin

    15. Next meeting time:

    May call: 19 May, usual time

    16: Face to Face Board meeting:

    A fair amount of our time was spent on logistics for this meeting.

    The meeting adjourned following check outs.

  • Meeting Date: 17 Feb 2011

    Board Notes — OSI-US, Thursday, 17 February 2011, 8:00–9:30 PST

    Present: Peggy Holman, Douglas Germann, Harold Shinsato, Phelim McDermott, Karen Davis, Ed LaBoy(late)

    Absent: Lisa Heft, Suzanne Daigle, Christine Whitney-Sanchez

    Facilitators: Peggy Holman

    Notetaker: Harold Shinsato There was a moment of silence followed by individual check-ins. 1. Mikk Sarv Karen will touch base with Lisa to find out how things are with Mikk Sarv and if we can help him with his book. The general consensus was that giving to him only because of his personal tragedy wasn't in alignment with our purpose, but that giving to him to help him produce his book would be. The board authorized to give $250 to Mikk to help him with his computer to produce his book if he still needs assistance there. 2. Face to Face board Meeting Apr 2-3-4

    Phelim won't be able to make it out to Florida - he might have time to call in. Karen, Doug, Ed, and Christine have their reservations. Karen is arriving the afternoon of Friday, leaving mid-afternoon Monday. Suzanne has info of our comings and goings and our lodging needs. 3. Gift Letter Status

    We have received $1445 so far. Phelim said having paypal made it easy to donate. Harold will send out a letter to our database. We will send out another letter to OSList in a week or so. Kickstarter is a crowdfunding website. Phelim used a site like that in the UK with a target of 5000 pounds. Money doesn't go through unless you hit the target within the time slot and it worked to raise the needed funds. Phelim was impressed with how it worked. Another example is 4. Teleconference for OSI-US Membership Feb/Mar 2010

    This is not happening in February. Hopefully in March. Karen reported that there is already a group speaking about getting the Open Space Institutes talking to each other. Karen is willing to get me into the conversation. Harold may move the teleconference out past March. 5. WOSonOS 2012

    Phelim asked for support on how they've been organizing the WOSonOS in England in 2012 which is well under way. There is a tension between letting other groups provide leadership and hosting, and ensuring the quality of the facilitation. 6. Open Space Web Presence and Identity

    The board authorized Harold to buy for the oslist.

    Next meeting: April 1-3 in Sarasota Florida Next monthly call: April 21 8am PDT, 9am MDT, 11am EDT, 4pm GMT (3pm if summer time changed). Call in number is 218-339-4300, code 934546#

    The "Bin" - Mikk Sarv Benefit - Karen Davis - Face-to-Face Board meeting April 2-3-4, Florida - Gift letter status - Teleconference for OSI-US Membership in Feb/Mar 2011 - Harold Shinsato - Downloadable audio for Understanding OS - Harold Shinsato - Update on U.S. OpenGov Innovation Summits - Lisa Heft - Privacy Issues - Virtual Open Space Possibilities - Gabriela Ender's OST Software - Harold Shinsato - Learning Map - Harold Shinsato - Finances - Purpose of Boards - Loan support - Karen Davis - Home for OSI-US "papers" - hard and soft copies - Peggy Holman - Online Bookstore - Potential for Strategic Collaboration in Open Space Community - Online Web Presence and Identity 

  • Meeting Date: 20 Jan 2011

    Board Notes — OSI-US, Thursday, 20 January 2011, 8:00–9:30 PST

    Present: Christine Whitney Sanchez, Harold Shinsato, Phelim McDermott, Ed LaBoy, Peggy Holman, Lisa Heft, Douglas Germann, Karen Davis, Suzanne Daigle

    Absent: None

    Facilitators: Lisa Heft and Christine Whitney Sanchez

    Notetaker: Karen Davis

    There was an opening minute of quiet time and then individual check-ins.


    1. Gift letter (Suzanne)

    A draft of gift letter was emailed in AM for review. Suzanne asked for clarification on items of spending: some examples of where $ go included to Haiti and Berlin (Brian scholarship), Access Queen, Ning site, distinct OSI-US website, audio download in process, annual meeting expenses/fee. It was noted that what is important is the energy and resources rather than the $.

    Donations to OSI-US can be made online (paypal) or by check sent to Peggy.

    Link for our donate page

    After 1/24 another draft gift letter will be sent to Board for review before being sent out.


    2. Face-to-face Board meeting in Florida (Suzanne)

    Suzanne had sent Board a mini slide show of venue, including things she needs to know, i.e. transportation & lodging. As soon as travel reservations are known, let her know itinerary. (Note that Tampa airport is 50 minutes away; Sarasota is 10 minutes although higher flight costs; and St Petersburg is possible if necessary.) Phelim will not know until much later whether he can attend.


    3. Board Elections required first meeting of new year

    A motion was made to retain current slate of officers with an amendment to add a second Vice President. After a second and discussion, the following were unanimously elected as OSI-US officers for 2011:

    President – Lisa Heft

    Vice President – Peggy Holman

    Vice President – Christine Whitney-Sanchez

    Treasurer – Harold Shinsatu

    Secretary – Suzanne Daigle


    4. Downloadable audio for Understanding OS (Peggy)
    Since advice/information on the internet is confusing about downloadable audios, Peggy & Harold will confer (after putting info on list for everyone) and try to figure out what needs to happen. Phelim will also check with his sources.

    Christine noted that the DVD of the 2005 Girl Scout convention is available free – and that link can be made to OSI-US.


    5. Update on Open Government initiative (Lisa & Christine)

    The link that describes Open Government Innovation Summit is

    This initiative is open to all those that are interested in bringing more transparency, public participation, and collaboration to their local/regional/national government wherever they live.”

    OpenGov was initiated by Lucas Cioffi. He originally named it as Open Space and posted it on OSList, however, it is not necessarily OS.


    The summits will be in May across US and internationally with a focus to dialogue and partnership. These meetings are not designed for action rather for increasing relationships and collaboration between citizens and the people working in local, regional, national governmental agencies - whether working on projects together, skills-building or strengthening relationships.


    Open/Gov is mostly volunteers although there are efforts to find sponsorship for the individual teams and the central planning team.

    Lisa Heft has taken on a role on central planning committee as a resource for the facilitators on these summit teams. She is also documenting what is working and not working for facilitators in this experiment.

    Lucas does have a dialogue software although that is not something he is recommending for the Summits.


    6. It was agreed that regular Board calls/meetings will be on 3rd Thursday of each month for 1 to 1.5 hours at 8am PST, 9am MST, 11am EST, 4pm GMT. At each meeting the Board will reconfirm the next meeting based on availability of most members.


    Next meeting: Thursday, 17 February (St. Pat Day), 8am PST, 9am MST, 11am EST, 4pm GMT. Call in number is 218-339-4300, code 934546#


    BIN for February 2011:

    Face-to-Face Board meeting April 1-4, Florida – Suzanne D. & all
    Gift Letter – Suzanne D.

    Teleconference for OSI-US Membership in Feb/Mar 2010 - Harold S.
    Downloadable audio for Understanding OS - Peggy H., Harold S.

    Update on U.S. OpenGov Innovation Summits - Lisa H.
    Privacy Issues
    Virtual Open Space Possibilities
    Gabriela Ender's OST Software - Harold S.
    Learning Map - Harold S.
    Purpose of Boards

    Online Web Presence and Identity – Harold S
    Loan support Reopened - Karen D.
    Home for OSI-US "papers" - hard and soft copies - Peggy H.
    Online Bookstore
    Potential for Strategic Collaboration in Open Space Community – Christine WS

  • Meeting Date: 30 Dec 2010
    December 2010 Board Proceedings
    December 30, 2010 9-10am PDT
    Present: Suzanne Daigle, Harold Shinsato, Karen Davis, Christine Whitney-Sanchez, Douglas Germann, Peggy Holman
    Absent: Phelim McDermott, Ed LaBoy, Lisa Heft
    Christine opened the meeting with the ringing of a beautiful bell and a moment of silence after which we reviewed the Bin to arrive at the agenda.

    Annual Meeting Debrief
    Harold needs to put up the meeting notes. Doug would have liked to have had more folks there. Christine was glad that Larry Peterson from the Canada Open Space Institute was on the call. We need to connect all the OSI boards - more possibilities for momentum. Things are wanting to happen - other techniques are useful to get to open space, what is the evolution of open space?

    Ask Letter
    The vast majority of our funding comes through our ask letter. We have less product. The upshot - last year has been our most successful letter. Our letters in the past spoke to our accomplishments for the year and our upcoming plans. Given where we are - it is not possible to get anything on the list give people to give an end of year contribution. Suzanne will take a look at the letter that Christine wrote - use it as a thinking piece. Suzanne is willing to craft something in the next 2-3 weeks. Make it a "gift" letter.

    We will hold our face to face meeting April 2 & 3 (Sat & Sun) with April 1 and April 4 as travel days: Suzanne is definitely available - will send letters to get commitment from people.  Suzanne will be available on Tuesday as well and host on Friday at her home. Karen will be a buddy about event planning - with Harold as backup. For flying purposes Tampa Airport is probably best. Allegiant flies into St. Petersburg. Sarasota is more expensive. Ed will be staying in Port Charlotte - only about 35 miles north. He will have a car - can be available to pick up people. Suzanne has 2 cars.

    Maestro Teleconferecing
    The teleconferencing from Maestro is expensive and it did not work that well for Open Space. Since the current system forces the host to manage all breakout assignments, it does not lend itself well to self-organizing. It also does not make it very safe to just drop out of one session and join another if you have to ask permission. It seems a better choice to use multiple free teleconferencing numbers. Christine related that this worked well for the Girl Scout Open Space events online she has helped with. Have a wiki with different call in numbers. People felt free to switch between sessions. Peggy mentioned that the new JTM site is using the Social Network tool called BuddyPress which has helped with posting session notes online for their face to face events. The tool Dinbin was also mentioned.

    Learning Map
    Harold has sent an email about that to the owners of the Learning Map.

    Privacy Issues
    On tyhe website people may not be aware how public some of the content is. Our new drupal based website allows for much more control over permissions.

    Next Meeting
    January 20 - 8am-9am

    We then each checked out to close the meeting.

  • Meeting Date: 11 Dec 2010
    Annual Membership Meeting - Open Space Institute/US
    December 11, 2010
    10am-noon PST
    Present: Harold Shinsato, Christine Whitney-Sanchez, Karen Davis, Doug Germann, Ed LaBoy, Donna Read, Larry Peterson, Lisa Heft, Maureen McCarthy
    Harold facilitated opening the space but after the opening we only had one session which Christine hosted.
    Blending Open Space
    Larry - seems to me that in today's reality - it's really quite rare - in all the opportunities - rare to have to have 3 days - rare to have 1 day - the case internationally - how is it in Canada?

    Limited opportunities - let's do it for a day or 2 or 3 - management folks have gotten more cautious certainly in Canada certainly since the downturn in the economy. Opening space is a risk. There are a few who are still wanting to do that - had some open space events with some of those few - Taiwan - who are using OS all over the place - aboriginal issues - places in Haiti - earthquakes. Then the more conservative who are wanting to control the outcome - may need something to help them to get to Open Space.

    Many would not get to Open Space - not able to get there - partly because Leadership to management position - measurement outcome in traditional sense.

    Help prepare them to open the space- even trying to open space in 1.5 hours.

    Opening space - around a theme - take responsibility as a team or as pairs of 12-15 people
    include some more traditional facilitation - opening some space around some particular theme - what they are facing at this point in history.

    Christine - some particular conversation around community conversation - how I have done the blending - how I'm always conscious - groups - the whole system - 2-3 day conferences I've been a part of - something that helps the individual - appreciative interviews (based on the work of Appreciative Inquiry) really warms the space.

    In a group that hasn't done anything - helping - focus on the individual - World Cafe' is a nice next step.

    Starting to be more curious - where are we going to take this? People feel very honored - their words are being visible - starting to move the things forward. In a community setting - tackle a big issue - their are experts - that provides a tremendous context.

    Doug - do this the night before an Open Space event - small groups - it depends - different design for each client - and each group - blended - northrup grumman - coherent culture- design team - each interviewed one client - range of folks - the design team collected those folks ahead of time - then do another round of appreciative interviews - small group themes- invited everyone - craft the questions for the world cafe'.

    After the World Cafe' - what was the most burning question - it all flows together.

    Harold mentioned Kanban which is a simple tool used in the Lean Manufacturing context which has been extended to any kind of process management. It's simply putting the topics on cards that a group might want to discuss, similar to an Open Space, but ordering and then stepping through as many of the topics as the group can get through based on voting.

    Following Thomas Hermann's ideas- making up a talking piece- virtual talking piece and then passing it around the circle - so that everyone has the opportunity to jump in.

    Larry - Combining Open Space with other things - most of us can create the conditions for much of what we see in that we guide in a self-organizing way - it requires us as facilitators to be comfortable with that - more comfortable - where we are headed - self-organizing process - don't know it yet.

    Maureen - we've used Open Space in combintation with Dynamic Governance - almost always do - not necessarily going through a progression - get people's feet wet - get people talking and comfortable with that - multiple day meetings - mix everything from speaker at one point in the circle - go into Open Space- go into World Cafe' - go back into Open Space - how you can use Open Space as a way to funnel - get people's ideas flowing - vote and choose - more deeply - may have a set of questions - topic may be variable- talk more fully about the topic - get everyone involved for sure.

    Collaboration - dance of leader and follower - taking passion for the things that they care about - really trying to participate - people brining their wisdom to the "not the table"...

    Maureen - keep stuff alive - at the end of an open space - what are the five things we need to do first - what do we need to stop doing right now?

    A "State of Grace document" with Open Space holds the relationship. The open space invites people to come forward to be champions. 10 flip chart stands around the room - whoever wants to be champion of it - people sign their names up - some one or none - whatever that action topic is - create a state of grace document - most useful for these particular people - for situation we are trying to move forward - begin to understand if they don't get the relationship moving along with the project.

    Like a performance review. What are we doing? Who are all these people involved? a check-in on a regular basis - in a community basis - groups of people - give them some information - a state of grace document together - if it's about more community gardening - start to understand one another.

    Doug - interest is the community side of this - trying to combine different things - curious to hear more - in detail from Ed, and from Maurene - about what those folks are doing - what things look like - real community things - immigration, etc.

    Donna - studied it with John Adams - starting a consulting - raising in the market place - international development - make the agency more aware of the vast number of products and services- national center - court administration through out the world. Individual energies - staff overseas. Interviewing  - what their thinking is - move into an Open Space - just come up - because they are so very conservative- is going to freak them out.This is a good modality for this exercise- how Christine is using appreciative interview - before moving into Open Space. Background in psychotherapy. National center for state courts.

    Karen Davis - part of what life is about- the synthesis - discovering ways of making all kinds of things relevant - bringing the science in - Appreciative Inquiry - Open Space - Future Search - etc. don't have anything - just got out of a legal meeting - hook in later. Ways that Christine got to know Karen was the OSonOS in Halifax - leading a Cherokee dance - dance of alignment - was wonderful.

    Christine - promoting civil dialog - they weren't interested in Open Space - were interested in World Cafe' - heartening in Phoenix - most restrictive and racially charged laws on the books - allows the police to stop someone who suspect of being an illegal immigrant. The shouting matches from the two different sides - we decided to step up and do this - so successful - people from the Tea Party - people who were part of PAC's - was a really civil quite generative conversation - what we got to in the end - what Maurene was talking about - rather than flip charts with the different charts - most actual ideas - people that wanted to be in it - post it system. Some outputs from that:

    1- A good majority - their biggest disappointment - not enough people from the other side - to understand the thinking.
    2- Out of the World Cafe' met 2 months later - decided to each invite - 9 of them - each of them 1 opposite view to a dinner - World Cafe' recorded conversation - gave back to the community - first time there has been any action coming out of the bigger event - very hard because there is no infrastructure - on the one hand - don't want to be the infrastructure - there's a way you stop if you take on too much responsibility.

    Larry - forming a coalition - when they did an event - urban health issues - in downtown toronto - five groups came out of it - sustained themselves for months - but because they came up with stuff they had passion for - because they had access to something - to kind of foster and pay for their event - life as well their community life - when that infrastructure is there - framing of the event - community support system - I find that it can sustain - one group that didn't sustain - came up with great ideas went to UBC - was taking role from institutional base - having that based on the community makes a difference.

    The event was being framed by various social planning organizations - network or coalition of organizations that were the sponsor - they invited through their various networks to become participants - the city people were involved- the public health people - local health integration network- numbers of health related organizations - who ended up deciding to sponsor. When I do an open space like that - find strong sponsoring group - then it can go forward - can't force it to happen if that's not there. Enough of a base - enough time and space in their own agendas - to pursue the stuff that emerges. Unless what emerges aligns - it tends not to happen.


Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer