You are here

These are the proceedings from meetings of the Open Space Institute.
  • Meeting Date: 19 Jul 2015
    Note Taker: Linda Stevenson
     
    Participants: Tricia, Harold, Linda, Kevin, Suzanne, Daniel
     
    Moment of Silence and Check – in
     
    Discussion Topics:
     
    VOSonOS 2015:  Suzanne - insight on the power of one person who invites others and the amazing success of the first VOSonOS. 
     
    Action:  Give some financial support for qiqochat to support VOSonOS in Poland and some financial support for WOSonOS in Poland.
     
    Bin Gardening:  Harold - celebrate the accomplishments on the work that has been done; pick up the important things from VOSonOS; big stuff was upgraded to the website; cleaned up the membership data base and membership map; everyone has three roles:  student, doer, teacher; moved onboarding stuff into the website; would like bin to be made public and visible on the website.
     
    Action:  Suzanne will have a conversation with Karen about making the bin public.
     
    Agile Open Space Guild:  Harold – keeps on going!
     
    OSI Membership:  Harold – Encourage people to become members and ask for an annual amount and go $50. recommended with a $15. minimum.
     
    Board Membership:  Kevin – have elections reflect the dynamic of the community; Harold – board membership rules vs. Anne Stadler’s “committed conveners”
     
    Action:  Invite Anne Stadler and others to share wisdom and check out Anne Stadler video on the OSI website.
     
    OSI and Institutes Around the World:  Suzanne – introspection for OSI on Artur’s comments at VOSonOS; need to be cautious with tax status; want to be inclusive.
     
    Action:  Have a good discussion on institutes around the world.
     
    Clear vision and mission:  Tricia – we’re not just supporting a board; we are serving a vision and mission; Harold – complicated and a lot of the community views us in this model of board hierarchy – do we need to rename ourselves?  Initially, there was a lot of community input to form the institute, and we need to return to this to avoid the impression of hierarchy while keeping to the rules and commitment; Tricia – make the bin public, and let people self-select if they want to come to a meeting – an ongoing market place; Harold – start with making Trello public; Suzanne – it should be reviewed before going public; Kevin – just do it.
     
    Action:  Suzanne will review it.
     
    Support at the Agile Conference:  Tricia – will ask Joe to make an OSI resusable banner; Suzanne – we will pay Joe.
     
    Next Meeting:  Scheduled for Monday, August 17, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. EDT.
  • Meeting Date: 19 Apr 2015

    Note Taker: Linda Stevenson

    Bin Gardner: Suzanne Daigle

    Present:

    Suzanne Daigle, Karen Davis, Daniel Mezick, Kevin O’Brien, Harold Shinsato, Linda Stevenson

    1.) Concerns were raised around the Board’s monthly online meetings’ structure and efficiency.  Possibilities to     address these issues included:

    ·       Dragging things out of Trello to pre-set an agenda three or four days before the meeting by a meeting volunteer convener, and the agenda could be refined at the beginning of each meeting

    ·       Learning the McCarthy style check-in

    ·       Naming/owning all items in the Trello bin

    ·       Distinguishing between operations and policy making

    ·       Using a grab and go email policy like Agile Boston

    ·       Making the best use of online tools for online meetings

    ·       Deciding the notetaker ahead of time (but for facilitator role?)

    ·       Using a spreadsheet like the OS Hotline

    ·       Keeping to 90 minutes with a mid-way break

    ·       Letting our mission “to hold space for Open Space” be our guide

    ·       Keeping our commitments

    ·       All activating whatever we are passionate about

    ·       Do we need both a convener and a facilitator?

    ·       Is the group being the authority a problem?

    2)     The Trello bin was cleaned up

    3)     Add a “Bell of Awesomeness” to the onboarding process and use it judiciously

    4)     Goal setting could be replaced with direction setting

    5)     Hold a conversation on structure serving the goals and emergence

    6)     IRS tax filings 990 and Washington State Annual Report are done

    7)     Online Agile coaching for OST folks is going well with 6 people on the last call, good questions, emergent lessons, and a fabulous teacher

    8)     The 501c3 policy and criteria writing will focus on WOSonOS and the January OS

    9)     We can experiment with sociocracy (background of holocracy) which is Scrum’s big brother and start by checking out Wikipedia and lerning more

    10)  Harold will form a subgroup to investigate sociocracy including Joh Buck’s work on collaborative governance (www.sociocracy.info) and make a recommendation for us to consider with Daniel as a point person

    11)  Keep in mind that “less is more” and our simplicity has led to some amazing meetings and emergence from a very deep place of being

    12)  Check out the McCarthy boot camp

    13)  More dialogue can happen in a safe space on the issues around the appropriate amount of structure

    14)  Harold is starting a video project on an unfolding Open Space Manifesto

    15)  Harold is  beginning Open Space training conversations

  • Meeting Date: 16 Mar 2015

    OSI US Board Meeting Hightlights – March 16, 2015 (5:30 to 7:15 p.m. EST)

    Attending: Tricia Chirumbole, Chuni Li, Suzanne Daigle, Karen Davis, Linda Stevenson, Harold Shinsato, Dan Mezick, Kevin O’Brien

    Note taker:  Suzanne Daigle

    Bin Gardner navigating the Agenda: Harold Shinsato

    Meeting begins with 2 minutes of silence followed by member check-in

    1. Bin Clean-up Harold advises that he has cleaned up the Trello bin and walks us through the things that he did moving stuff to done, creating a column of parked indefinitely if there has been no activity, including a column called “stuff to consider” which we can then move into the bin for discussion leading to action. 
       
    2. On line Agile Coaching Class for interested Board members and invited Guests
      To date Linda, Karen, Tricia, Harold and Dan are participating. First training call is scheduled for Tuesday the 24th of March from 4 to 6 pm. (2 hours giving participants time to sort out the technical login, etc). Other classes will last about 1.5 hours.  Tricia asks about inviting attendees and the suggest is that we each try to invite 5 people. Linda asks whether a pre-requisite is a depth of experience in Open Space. The answer is yes. 
       
    3. Kudos and acknowledgment of Dan Mezicks Open Space client videos by Linda and others. All agree that these speak to the need and potential of our work and the power of video to get the message across.
       
    4. International House Retrospective from January Harold and Karen report that the Open Space Gathering 2015 was a success in terms of participation and financially ($2100 surplus). This was the first year that OSI US officially partnered on this event and it was noted that all OSI members participated and were actively involved. In addition to the financial benefits of using OSI US’s 501C3 as a pass through, it was felt that the goals of this annual gathering fit well with the OSI US mission and that the event itself met all the established guidelines for use namely that there be complete transparency in managing all of the expenses and revenues with no financial exposure to the Institute. 

      While noting all the positive benefits, it was acknowledged that using OSI US as a pass-through does create quite a bit of work at the treasury level and it could become extremely onerous if we were involved in many such events.There was some discussion about expanding the use and value of our 501C3 without increasing work for us at the Board level as a service to other institutes or Open Space groups. Should we go in that direction, Harold says that it probably would require paid staff to handle the books
       

    5. OS Hotline Michael Herman requested permission to post the link to the hotline on Open Space World.org.  Everyone enthusiastically agreed noting again the huge value and richness of the discussions that occur on the hotline every week. The group expressed their deep appreciation to Tricia for leading this effort.
       
    6. Orientation and Welcome of New OSI Board members: While appreciating the on-boarding procedure document that was developed for new members with information on the mission, vision and values of OSI US, Dan, in an earlier email to Chuni, suggested that a simple, repeatable and perhaps more elaborate group-level welcoming ritual could help by going beyond the informal way that people have of getting to know each other which can potentially be somewhat unwelcoming.

      A rich and enthusiastic discussion ensued from this suggestion leading to a first new ritual of ringing “a bell of awesomeness” to welcome Doug and Dan as new board members. All agreed that having emergent light structures, which provide spontaneity can be highly effective counteracting the fact that we rarely meet face-to-face.  Those who have been on the board talked about how invaluable the off-site board retreats have been. (ie. Florida) in building deeper relationships.  Setting up a bit more structure can help, according to Dan, and as he reminds us, nothing needs to be set in stone.
       

    7. Expert Open Space Directory- A Berrett-Koehler suggestion that came from Peggy Holman via email 11/16, 2014, which they call a “distinguished group”. From the BK note to refresh our memory:  “The qualifications to be in a distinguished group are loosely set by the organizers of the group.  They would either submit a list to us, and as people requested membership in the directory, we would consult the list and identify them in this group, or they would reference the organizer of the distinguished group during the application process, and then we would check with the organizer to get a formal recommendation to join.” 

      Picking up on the BK idea, it was felt that such a directory or list of experienced Open Space facilitator/trainers would be helpful. Karen asks if we know what other groups have done (Appreciative Inquiry, Future Search, World Café) in submitting to this list.  Karen who knows Juanita will seek her out to ask. We then had an open discussion of what the possibilities might be on this feeling this will be an increasing need because more and more people will want to know about Open Space in the future.

      We did have some minimal discussion on this topic at an earlier meeting. In the spirit of Open Space, while recognizing the benefit and need of this, it is not evident how a group such as ours would determine who is an expert. The inclination would be that people self-identify instead and that we involve others.

      Kevin talks about the Linked-in model where people can endorse others for their skills. He mentions the W.L. Gore model where others recognize a person’s expertise. What’s nice about Linked in is that it’s easy to endorse. Linda asks if we just couldn’t use Linked in directly and ask the community to use the endorsement feature. Kevin responds that we can’t search by endorsements in Linked in. Harold does not like that Linked in controls the information. Nonetheless he feels that Linked is a good model and thinks that creating something like it connected to a map could be doable. There is further discussion about Linked in that people could be gaming the process or not being as thoughtful or serious in their endorsements. Harold mentions that just because you have a lot of endorsements doesn’t mean that you are good.

      Tricia see this as an opportunity to involve others, to institute something that is superior to formal models. It’s an opportunity to involve the OS community.It invites us look at expertise and also who you actually trust who is doing this work. It’s an opportunity to involve the OS community.

      Karen acknowledges that there’s been some good thinking and good ideas. I think this could be a major move for the Institute but perhaps it would be good idea to step back a bit first. Chuni wonders if this initiative is in the spirit “one less think to do”. Kevin responds by saying: I’m excited by the idea and would be happy to offer whatever I can but I also respect what Chuni just said.
       

    8. Spacify – Suzanne mentions that she is working with Mark Kilby (Agile Orlando) who is looking into a possible Open Space tool for the newsroom and that he has asked her if she’d assess it with him and Diana Weber of Valpak. They will be hosting and facilitating Florida Open Space Agile 2015.  Suzanne asks if there’s anyone on the Board interested in looking into it with her.  Tricia volunteers.
       
    9. Next OSI meeting We will continue to use ZOOM and the request is that we send a year-long schedule that we can integrate in our schedules. Suzanne to follow-up

     

  • Meeting Date: 15 Dec 2014

    Meeting minutes OSI-US December 15, 2014

    In attendance: Tricia, Harold, Linda, Suzanne, Karen, (Kevin butterfly)

    We did a minute of silence. We did check ins.

    More transparency

    The annual meeting. Great getting Daniel Mezick involved so he could get more involved in the OSList. There were technical problems for the first 20 minutes. There were people from Europe. people couldn't hear Linda. After about 20 minutes she gave up. Christine Koehler spent 0.35 Euro to participate. Karen thought the annual meeting went well.

    Peace & High Perf - for January

    We have 2 people registered so far. I know it's going to work out. Suzanne - did you have any conversations with any of the folks that Chuni mentioned? Karen hasn't heard from them. Pittsburg contingent hopefully coming. Suzanne has a suite.

    Face to Face in NYC 1/2015

    Informal Sunday meeting. Formal meeting Monday January 19. Specific goals- specific measure. Chuni might have a location in NYC, but we could hold it at her parents house. 10am to 5pm. We probably will use Open Space, though we might or might not have more than one track. Karen is working on the location. Since we are in NYC - we can bring in food or go out to eat.

    OS Hotline should have page on OSIUS.org site. Harold will give Tricia the link to send to Open Space World.

    Adding Daniel Mezick - what is the role of the OSI-US. It's holding space for open space. It's not like.. we've had our issues and controversies. We're not being like a mega- controlling presence. Suzanne has found it hard to find our place so we don't overstep our bounds. Like we don't hold a power role. But the flip side we're searching for our identity. I don't know if we've wrestled. Here's what we're about.

    Karen - historical piece - if someone wanted to be a part of the Open Space Institute board - they only had to say so. We can do anything over the course of the year. Part of the deeper conversation for the face to face. and our goals. Karen may not be able to hook in again because she's arriving at her destination. Why has this come up? Suzanne had a chat with Harold as a sounding board. Let's give it time and space.

    Kevin - transparency part - what is the board's mission, ownership and stewardship for - the types of activities making that more open seems like - that's the part we're talking about? We're not as transparent as we could be about today.

    Suzanne - struggling with the word with transparency. Nothing we have to hide. The timidity. Holding space for a spoken or unspoken bound. Read about 7 or 8 years of the notes for the OSI-US notes. A lot of the conversations are similar to ours. Peggy started this a long time ago and was in that role of heading it up for quite a while. Harold and Suzanne were invited, people didn't seem to come. Don't know how it was in the past. We all agree -

    Karen - I'm on stage now - in the past one of the things that often happens. The annual meetings there would be someone (WOSonOS) someone had some energy - when they were at that meeting. Make it transparent - these are how things have been operating.

    Suzanne - when we had the conversation at the membership meeting - are people are holding back because of this or because of that - if they do say something it might get shot down - authority or that - struck on that for all these people coming forward - people are truly choosing.  Maybe people would not say how they feel. This is an example too of not just looking at the facts of what is being said. Being there present or holding space. Social Medial work - you can lurk on Twitter.

    Suzanne - the energy is starting to bubble up. Not imposing it. Serving them - what would that look like - would the on us of responsibility lie on us.

    Linda - a larger context - people may not realize that things are happening so fast. OST is about to come out of the shadows. It's going to change the consciousness of how organizations come together. It's going to fit in with the future of work. A broad overview - then asking the questions that Harold is pointing to. What do you need? Get people's interests. If they're still looking at this as the old OSList. A lot of this is being triggered. Wait a minute - what else is out there - that's great. But I was struck by Chris Cloth - haven't seen him for 20 years - of course I remember him. Get some of the old timers envigorated. Get them wanting to come to January. A context piece. Linda would help write. It's kind of - taking a stand right now. Who are the experts? List of experts are going to come out one way or another. We have as the institute to honor the integrity of the process and serve the community. Help us shape what we'll be looking at as the institute.

    Suzanne - what this is inspiring in me - in an expanded way of transparency and self-leadership - when you see these people on the list - if we are asking about some of the things they are - they could be participating. People that are interested. Dan's being a spark plug on a bunch of things. There could be others that care deeply that see the shift that are happening.

    Linda - Projects that are invited - for that to occur. Tricia's group - people who are newer - a lot of people on the OSList that have been around for 20-30 years. They've realized they are not going to pay the bills with OST and have done other things. There could be a wonderful invitation to them to inform the new people of what is happening. And Dan's games have brought people out of the shadows. Sharing their expertise, and stimulating conversations. There is a real chance to take a leadership role, one that is very open. I'd be happy to start with what that larger context could be stated as - and tie it into the survey monkey. Use it as a rallying call. You've been waiting for this for quite a while - we've been privy to the hotline which Tricia has pioneered. Bill Jensen's research. Not everyone understands that. But we do. But the timing couldn't be better. In doing that, we're honoring the list in a way it's an invitation. It's a way of communicating that have dropped into the shadows and are comfortable there. It's time - it's all open space anyway. There's a need for awareness here.

    Suzanne - Tricia do you have any thoughts? What is Linda is describing for a bigger context. They're not all newbies. Paul Levy. They've been doing OST.

    Linda - people with depth and experience are not as active. Highlight what we are excited about. To get people to NYC. To get people to the Hotline. We'll be doing the survey too. Get ways for people to contribute. People who do have passion will come forward. Maybe other ideas. In this whole process, we keep our eyes open for people we want to invite onto the board. This needs to happen yesterday.

    Tricia- culture of the board - we can be- the next steps emerging . More inclusive and open. Invitational. Clarify our mission and put that out into the cosmos and see what develops. Get people interested. I'm happy to keep the line open, and see more invitations coming from the OSI board, that is emerging right now. Identifying our vision and inviting. Keep the energy flowing different manifestations of engagement.

    Harold removed David O'Neill, Ed Laboy, and Phelim McDermott from the OSI-US Board email list.

  • Meeting Date: 15 Sep 2014

    Notes for Monday September 15, 2014

    Elections. Roles and non-roles. Elections.

    Tricia would like to do something that serves the board but that does not need to be attached to a title.

    Harold had thoughts about the authorization structure and paradigm limits we may be facing as a community related to our roles and "non-roles".

    Suzanne is really enjoying bringing OST into the workplace. She's been drawn to the work Linda is doing with Bill. It feels like there are other people beside our community with whom to have our continuing conversation. Some people being exposed to OS that she is excited that they are experiencing it. Just did an OST with 17 "alpha" men in a high performing company. Someone talked to them after them to assess the event - talked to the president. They got the value of Open Space. Suzanne so powerfully wants to bring this to business and also finds she can be lost in the between space not feeling strongly to the tribe right now.

    Linda knows the power of OST. "It's coming into it's own. It's in it's chrysalis state. She joined this board because she could never say no to Karen Davis as before Karen asked she wasn't drawn to the Open Space Institute. It is my first intimate role for the Institute. I don't know what's gone in the past. I don't know enough to contribute. What is the role of the institute? What is the role of the community? I am somewhat lost. That doesn't diminish my commitment to OST and doing it whenever I can, trying to understand the shift that's going on in a way that I will be able to communicate to non-profits or communities. I don't care. I sense that the leverage will be with the corporations. They are probably more aware of the trouble that they are facing. Things aren't working that well. A world where everyone is doing the work they love. Everyone. And OST has been around for 30 years and no one has really understands what the hell self-organization is. You can put them to sleep. It doesn't make sense to them. It's all coming together in a powerful way. My commitment is huge. What I can do for the Institute? I'm not sure. What can the Institute do for the community? I'm not sure. There's some feeling we're not just pushing the Institute to push the Institute. One that can serve Open Space. I would never want to see OST facilitators have the certification like they have in the coaching world or Scrum world. I'm lost. I'm not feeling called to jump in and be president. I'm lost and I don't think that leads to being a good president. I'd love to hear from Karen. She has been committed to Institute as well as the Open Space community, and some powerful milestones have happened on the way because of Karen. I've covered what is going on for me right now. I think having this honest authentic conversation without coming to a decision right now. Thank you to everyone."

    Karen - "I don't know what to say. One of my early reactions to what Harold was saying. What we're doing is ok. It doesn't have to be different. There's a way as an institute we've been practicing as close as we can what OST is about, which can be frustrating and challenging. I'm comfortable hearing that someone can't say no to me - say that to Linda. I didn't realize that you had given away that much power. I'm glad you did decide to be on the board. I keep thinking of what's going on this year - accentuated by December 21 of last year - we're in that same process of transforming and rediscovering, and trying to touch the meaning for ourselves."

    Suzanne - "I just feel really much better, talk about history as I know it. When Harold and I joined the board, within about 2-3 months, at an OSI retreat at her house, key players indicated they were going to leave the board. It was very unexpected. People transitioned out. I remember too going through 10 years of OSI minutes, after I became president. I noticed that they were struggling and wrestling with the same things we are struggling with. Different little projects. We should be doing more because OST is so amazing. Then we went through something in our group - WOSonOS in FL - bonding. What happens in OST, it opens up so much connection to yourself and others and the world. It's like you've been given glasses and hearing, feel, heightened awareness. Life changing for me. Once you have that you know you want others to have that. The invitation process then becomes a skill and an intention. Then you think of execution; it's why I was so drawn to Scrum and Agile. Self-organizing also has an organizing to it. Taps into the best strengths. People gravitate to leadership and they flow in and out. OST is pretty magnificent sitting in the middle of it. Without Open Space I was engaged in processes, not vibrantly aware as I am now. I'm still in the exploratory stage of OS, which is really life. And I'm not articulate to say all these things. Look at Karen, so involved with IODA, and has been recognized by them. Linda is working with Bill right now. I'm chasing after rabbits. Tricia deciding - going to do my own projects. People hosting in my home. Without the Institute, how would I be with all of you? Holding space during this tremendous period of huge transformation - maybe it's ok that we're just hanging out - we may not have the clarity or the governance structure, or whatever, but but that's it.

    "And back to that client, what made me the happiest - they wanted to do an OST because they wanted to include their people and have shared leadership. They did have their OST.  They did the book of proceedings, and prioritized, and next steps. Have they done anything with it? They said no. They didn't expect that from the Open Space facilitator. What they hired, and what they got, is what they wanted. So felt good about that. They are living in the same world we are, struggling with so many demands, but they opened the space, and connected with each other, and that's what they were looking for. And that's open space when we do that. That's what it is."

    Karen - "This self organizing thing which people don't really understand, it's the core of Open Space - OD community - people there don't understand systems theory and wholeness really. They are so much into tools, etc. I love what people are sharing. And it feels like it could go on for quite a while. Wondering if we could set up another call to reflect on what's been said to see where we want to go as an Institute. I know back at the meeting the face to face meeting at Suzanne's place, several people said they were on their way out. I have become more and more committed to this group and to the OST community. So I'm not ready to go yet. I'm still here. I'll do what I can. Anyway, that's it for the moment."

    Suzanne - "I'm feeling so good now. Tricia, what you are doing every week [Open Space Hotline], your enthusiasm and commitment, it's like I want that to be acknowledged, to be tapped into. It's an important part, also having us reach out to people participating the most. Lots of ideas that could be pursued. We are at a juncture right now. Powerful possibility that it offers. So much happier. Felt so guilty to use this process to use it so much and not feel so connected to whatever this Institute, whatever is happening. Some voices I don't resonate with, but I don't dismiss them."

    Linda - "Would you be ok with staying president?"

    Harold gave thumbs up to that proposal.

    Suzanne - [pause] "Yes. Just as long as we distribute roles. If it can be used as any fuel - Tricia that is doing every week - such appreciation that I feel - not recognized - what's happening right now in all of us."

    Linda - "Mr. Simplicity - Bill Jensen - he's looking for a simpler way. He's interviewed 100 leaders of all ages, and looking at the patterns and future of work. What needs to happen. There will be a report by the end of October early November. What's emerging, he and I came to the same place. There's some reliability with this data. It has passion and responsibility written all over it. It's got real hard evidence, and he has language that can reach the corporate world. I don't have the language and buzzwords. I've bent over backward to analyze the data without an open space bias. Be open and look at it as anyone would look at it. When this report is available, I'm ready to market it to speak to the business world in a major way for people who appreciate and know how to open space to walk into that void that's being created. He set up all the interviews, he did most of them, and condensed them down to 10-15 minutes, and she mind mapped what she saw for 114 interviews. And Suzanne is helping pull out what she's passionate about. It's nailing it in terms of what has to happen. The shift is going on. People know that the corporate model as it exists right now is failing. Bill is a real gift, real smart. Into simplicity. He's very open. The report will be available to all of us to use it as we want to. The early adopters are the organizations that will adopt it. Bill is not well versed in OST. I liken him to someone like Harrison, very smart, very much into simplicity, that has the ability to talk to the business world."

    Suzanne - "Bill speaks his mind, really direct, cut the crap. These 114 interviews, are very exciting, with different people at different levels of organizations, not all at the top.  They're all people that genuinely are adopting or gravitating toward more inclusion and transparency. Very heartening because they are real people speaking authentically what they are searching and hunting for, by letting go of their control - they speak their struggles. When we think of Dan Mezick, find the companies that are in that mojo - in Tricia's language, we see many people going in that direction. Knowing how to help."

    Linda - "Most of these are on YouTube. Anyone could go on as see the interviews, look for Bill Jensen. They are from all over the world. They are global and all ages, including great young people. It's very hart warming to know they are out there."

    Harold - "This meeting was a great success because we accomplished the #1 on the bin - 'Bigger Vision Big Inclusion World Wide'"

    One Word Check-out: Yes, Love, Life, Opportunity, Passion!

  • Meeting Date: 26 Jan 2014

    OSI-US Board minutes – January 27, 2014

     

    5:30pm EST via: Skype video chat

     

    Participants:

    1.       Linda Stevenson

    2.       Karen Davis

    3.       Suzanne Daigle

    4.       Chuni Li

    5.       Tricia Chirumbole

    6.       Harold Shinsato

     

    ·         Item closed: Doug has officially ended his term as an active member of the OSI-US board

    o   Dougwill continue to be invited to monthly board calls and can participate as an emeritus member at his discretion.

    o   Suzanne Daigle will produce a certificate to honor Doug for his service – separate item listed on Trello.

    ·         Item closed: Google HRockstars hangout

    o   OSI board members and other in the OS community have been introduced to the HRockstars Google+ community and a number have joined the group.

    o   Suzanne, Harold, and Jasmina have participated in HRockstars “live” online TV shows talking about Open Space,

    ·         Update: Practice of Peace books

    o   OS-US did not go in the red! $85 profit (bulk supply of Twizzlers anyone?)

    o   Shipped 18 boxes, 16 separate orders, 4 international: 2 Sweden, 1 Norway, 1 France.

    o   Distributed ~ 20; 20 boxes in Linda’s garage; recycled ~20 boxes.

    ·         Update: Post-WOSonOS 2013 $ transparency

    o   Did not receive money from Serbia, but Jasmina confirmed that it was remitted.

    o   Harold has not received any information to this effect.

    o   1099s: anything under $600 there is no responsibility to do a 1099

    o   Suzanne will be in touch with Harold regarding WOSonOS financials

    o   Item still open until resolved.

    ·         Board decision: Agreed to provide monetary support from OSI-US funds for Aaron Wasserman’s participation in the recent NYC OS on Peace and High Performance.

    o   Agreed to reimburse Suzanne for her out of pocket support to Aaron, with funds from Serbia, referenced above, when they are received.

    §  Suzanne covered $270 for a flight.

    o   Rationale: Consider Aaron as a representative of large cohort groups – young people/students – that has demonstrated interest in learning about and practicing Open Space.

    §  St. Petersburg students, of which Aaron is a part, have a critical mass. Now the University has hired consultants to use Open Space for other purposes – students have the edge as they have previous experience.

    §  This is in line with the OSI-US mission, but extends beyond the historical support of international groups.

    ·         Update & Item closed: On-boarding new OSI-US board members

    o   Chuni Li attached a new document to the board’s Trello space as a reference for on-boarding – it is based on an Art of Hosting document.

    o   New members, Linda Stevenson and Tricia Chirumbole, agree with Chuni that the item has been adequately addressed and should be considered done until a new member comes on board.

    ·         New item: Harold Shinsato proposes that the board “adopt” the annual NYC Peace and High Performance Open Space as an OSI-US event.

    o   Harold volunteers to facilitate these efforts

    o   OSI-US will not take on financial responsibility or risk for the event

    o   The work done to support the Peace and High performance OS, can be extended to other Open Space on Open Space events, Open Space trainings, or other “public offering” Open Spaces.

    §  Details on eligibility pending – not yet listed on Trello.

    o   Efforts may include: establishing some easy to reuse/replicate processes, such as: online registration process, online payment transaction; and possibly a platform for tying together books of proceedings.

    §  Could possibly host on an “OSonOS” URL that someone established.

    o   The board may participate in other ways such as outreach and marketing

    o   Mention the possibility of tapping into Access Queen funds – item left open, not formally recorded on trello as a “doing” or “bin” item – note take uncertain as to intent.

    o   Board can consider how they can coach or support people in organizing events cheaply or for free by providing: website, page on website, coaching to do registration and how to use eventbrite, even use google+ newsroom.

    ·         Offshoot discussion: Ms. Song – China – trained 7000 OS facilitators, at a rate of 700/year

    o   Ms. Song thought that OS was a big thing in America

    o   Chinese government are reaching out to assimilate governance principles of OS

    o   Train community developers, NGOs, etc. – we can do that as well.

    ·         Update: Closing OSi-US online bookstore

    o   Harold doesn’t have more information to support this decision

    o   Karen has been in touch with Dave re: the OS bookstore – hopefully she will have information for the next meeting.

    ·         New board member proposal: Propose exploring onboarding new members that may have momentum. 

    o   The board members concur that it would be great to explore new interested parties for the board

    o   It is proposed that we consider some form of agreement or expectation setting with prospective board members regarding a minimum level of attendance at board meetings. Decide to explore further next time.

    ·         Next meeting: Monday, February 17 – 5:30pm, via skype

     

  • Meeting Date: 15 Dec 2013

    5:30pm EST via: Skype video chat

    Participants:   Harold Shinsato, Linda Stevenson, Tricia Chirumbole, Douglas Germann, Karen Davis

     

    1.       Quick review of our Financials by Harold

    · Seems that we have about $1700 in Paypal and $3000 in our checking totaling over $4000

    · Some of this money is from the sale of the Practice of Peace books – we will only know later how the numbers will come out. The books were sold almost at cost (covering shipping and handling) with only a very small portion possibly coming back to the board.

    2.       Money outstanding coming in from Serbia.  We are still struggling with the bank issues and coordinating with the University of Belgrade. Payment is for training and attendance from 2013 totaling $850. This will be a donation to OSI US from Suzanne who was hosting – a quid pro quo contribution with the University of South Florida.  A tax receipt will be provided to Suzanne once this money is received.  

    3.       Karen Davis talks about upcoming Open Space at International House.  Suzanne will be extending personal invitations to a number of people. We discuss who might be interested to attend.

    4.       On the Open Space Website, it appears that the dates for WOSonOS 2014 are not accurate. Harold will follow-up

    5.       Tricia describes new fund-raising ideas for OSI US beyond our annual ask letter. She will be sending ideas and suggestions of items that people could purchase with our OSI – US logo on it – memorabilia of sorts that OSI members might enjoy. She is working with a company that specializes in this—it would not be the intent for OSI –US to carry inventory. It would be self-organized with a small amount coming back to OSI-US per purchase.

    6.       On-line book store closing
    Harold initiates a conversation to inform us of that. Suzanne was unaware it even existed. Harold has been trying to get some inventory numbers. We all agree that we don’t want to be in the book business however as was the case with the Practice of Peace books, we would not want to lose precious books or materials.  Karen will be following up based on her personal relationship with one of the principals. It is anticipated that all will be closed by year-end.

    Next meeting scheduled for January 21st one day later than our normal 3rd Monday of the month because of the International House Open Space that weekend.

     

  • Meeting Date: 20 Oct 2013

    Participants: Harold, Suzanne, Chuni, Linda, Karen, Jasmina, Doug, and Tricia

    Check – in

    Bin Gardening (choosing items to discuss)– Harold

    Discussion Topics:

    • Post-WOSonOS 2013 Reporting  - Harold informs us that everything seems complete except:

    -   Just missing money from USFSP + 1 outstanding payment for training/participant fee from Serbia (seems it’s been a banking glitch)

    -   Action:  Suzanne to contact USF SP and Jasmina to sort out the issue with the University of Belgrade

    •  Practice of Peace books – Linda reports that a few boxes have been sold; we will continue until the end of the year. It is suggested that we advertise this on the Open Space Linked-in, Ning and Facebook. The cost is a little higher than expected but we are still making a few dollars. 1 box was sent overseas.  

      Action:  Harold will handle the social media above

    • On-Board new Members – Chuni updated the Word document that she initially prepared. She is having one on one conversations with Board members and is finding it very helpful.  Harold would like to see a link that looks like a Wiki page to send to new members. Tricia comments that what Chuni has put together is very helpful.  Harold mentions that for on-boarding we should continue in the spirit of Open Space with a very light-weight process.-  

      Action: Chuni will continue her one-on-one discussions with Board members

    • Harold creates an Obsolete Lane on Trello for items where there has been no action for a long time.
       
    • Meeting of the Institutes – Harold and Karen indicate they will work together with the idea of having a November meeting. Chuni asks about if there will be an opportunity for translation to accommodate those who speak different languages. A suggestion is made that participants could have the opportunity to participate in Spanish as we are increasingly seeing members and groups from South America and Mexico in addition to Spain.
       
    • Harold is cleaning up the membership list
       
    • A resolution is created regarding by-laws around our board membership. We agree to modify the language to say that the Board should have a minimum of 5 members; no maximum will be specified. All agree. Quorum vote achieved.
       
    • Clean-up of Wikipedia – Harold has done a lot of work and was able to get rid of many warnings. There is some discussion by the group about the challenges of writing language that fits within the parameters of Wikipedia based on whether people view Open Space as a process or a philosophy. Harold mentions that the Wikipedia Scrum is a good model to follow if we want to further appears in the Open Space Technology Wikipedia. We have a lengthy discussion about the various interpretations and that to really capture in language the full essence of self-organizing of Open Space for example, could take a few years.
       
    • Jasmina mentions that on the Open Space.org page the dates for WOSonOS in Serbia are not accurate

      Action: Jasmina to contact Michael Herman by email to have this corrected.
       

    • Next meeting: Scheduled for November 18, 2013
  • Meeting Date: 16 Sep 2013

    Participants: Chuni,Doug, Harold,Jasmina,Karen, Linda, Suzanne, Tricia 

     

    ·         Check-in

    ·         Review Bin

     

    Items Discussed

    ·         On-boarding new board members:

    o   Discuss Chuni’s list of questions about how to on-board members

    o   Conveying Mission? – It is on the website and gets sent to new members in an email

    o   Check-in Process/Check-out during board calls – why and how?: anywhere to find this information?

    §  Not written anywhere, would have to reach out to old board members – curious about the origin and the theory

    §  Purpose of check out: whatever happens is what happens, used as a way for people to say what they haven’t been able to say, talk about how they feel about how session went, etc., many purposes.

    §  Action: Karen will work with Chuni on the side to work on something to convey to new members

    §  Linda would like to have a new member orientation

    §  Action: Linda and Tricia – new members – will talk with Chuni to provide suggestions

    §  https://osius.org is where minutes are located

    ·         Completed the OS board elections with a unanimous vote

    o   President: Suzanne Daigle will remain as President

    o   Vice President: Tricia Chirumbole will become the new VP

    o   Secretary: Chuni Li will become the new Secretary

    o   Treasurer: Harold Shintado will remain as Treasurer

    ·         Received an update from Harold and Suzanne on WOSonOS 2013 reporting and transparency

    ·         Annual Ask-Give Letter

    o   Action: Decided to add more items to the letter via google docs

    §  Discussion about privacy of using Google

    §  Will include in note support of OSers in Haiti

    ·         Discussed Practice of Peace book distribution

    o   Deal: Box of 34 books - $25: $15 to ship, $10 for handling ; internationally: $120

    §  Small discount for more boxes, but not much

    §  67 boxes available overall

    o   ACTION: Linda will be willing to handle the paperwork of orders, conveying to warehouse, and paying for books

    o   ACTION:Set up a paypal button for people who want to buy, appropriate for the institute to get a little income from this.

    o   Still paying $50/month as long as books are with Innovative Office Solutions

    o   Agree to provide books at cost for Jasmina in preparation for WOSonOS 2014

    o   Give people to the end of the year to buy books, small margin for OSI-US

    ·         OS deep dives

    o   ACTION: Tricia reported that she planned to announce the deep dive with the OS hotline skype the next day and present the deep dive spreadsheet with a few example topics added by Tricia, but none of the OSI board topics.

    §  No objections

    ·         Doug Germann reports that he will resign from the board, effective at the end of 2013.

     

    Next Meeting:

    ·         Oct 21st 5:30pm EDT – plan on using skype with video

    o   conference line as a backup plan

     

    ACTION SUMMARY

     

    1.      Karen will work with Chuni on the side to work on something to convey to new board members

    2.      Linda and Tricia– new members – will talk with Chuni to provide suggestions for onboarding

    3.      All members: can add items to the Annual Ask-Give letter via google docs

    o   Include information about support of OSers in Haiti

    4.      Linda will handle the paperwork of orders for Practice of Peace, convey to warehouse, and handle payments.

    5.      Harold will set up a paypal button for people who want to buy, appropriate for the institute to get a little income from this.

    6.      Tricia will announce the deep dive with the OS hotline skype and present the deep dive spreadsheet with a few example topics added by Tricia, but none of the OSI board topics.

     

     

  • Meeting Date: 12 Jul 2013

    OSI-US - Board Meeting

    In attendance: Suzanne, David O'Neill, Harold Shinsato, Doug Germann, Tricia Chirumbole, Karen Davis

    Bin - In Progress

    WOSonOS Reporting - About $330 deficit. 1020 went to Access Queen. Gave 600 to Aaron, Katie, and Marilyn. Honor the partner donors. Equivalent of $14,000. A lot of training for no fee for many people, including the money we contributed for the people from Haiti. As part of the budget - covered expenses for some people like Devon. $26,050.

    Crowdvine for the sustainability. $450. SCIONS. They established a brand new scholarship for 3 young community leaders ($150 for each). Even the people did the catering, 10% reduction. And Devon offered training to 5. $1299 training cost for each. Tangible and untangible.

    USFSP provided facilities and staff that were working. The Bishop Center had advanced a little over $4,000 and if we had had more people, part of the profits they would have received. These are rented facilities to the public for a certain number. Out of the budget at the end, Bishop Center thought they would have to cover $3000. It was over time. We were able to give them $1020 back.

    Doug - I think you've done wonderfully here. A loss of $373 is a breakeven. For you to do that on the heels of London where they had thousands of pounds loss - you did wonderfully. You are to be congratulated for your faith and to keep pushing things through.

    Suzanne - I'll echo back I never could have know how important you on the board were for this. The partnership such a sense of security. It is a heavy responsibility to manage everyone's money. You do want there to be great transparency. They truly were our partners in this. Happy for what we accomplished and the future.

    We had our breakdown and breakthrough.

    On Boarding New Members - Chuni - out reach to new board members about what they need. Chuni has written a list. Suzanne will follow up with her. Harold would like to get the final document and put it up on the website.

    Resolution for size of Board to accommodate new members - Don't know if we've ever adopted a resolution on this. 7 people on the call. Chuni, Phelim, Ed, Sharon Joy, Linda.

    Set it at a maximum of 15.

    Research Why Open Space works

    Integrating Agile/Scrum

Pages

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer