We believe that inspired behavior can be an everyday experience and that humanity is limited by its perceptions of the possible. The OSI-US was created to grow that sense of possibility and make it a reality by focusing on: learning, research and practice.
Open Space and the Open Space Institute mean different things to different people. Furthermore they each continue to evolve. Since both are highly fluid and dynamic, as you read these notes on why the Open Space Institute(US) exists and what it does, it is undoubtedly changing. As a result and reflection of this, the Institute webpage and the rest of the work of the Open Space Institute(US) is a continuing work in progress.
Purpose The Open Space Institute(US) holds space for Open Space. Open Space Institute(US) serves by:
- Providing access to resources on Open Space,
- Connecting individuals and groups to inform, inspire, mentor, and sustain each other in opening and holding space, AND
- Being an inclusive learning community. Join the Institute!
- Institute Members - send in support to fund the work of the Institute.
- Board Members - join us on conference calls and take responsibility for projects.
- Invitation to both is always open. Join the Institute!
Activities for Accomplishing our Purpose
- Maintain an email list of OSI(US) members and friends
- email@example.com to join our email announcements list
- Listen for and encourage people to document their OS stories
- Convene (or Co-Covene) community activities, conferences and virtual events (e.g. Virtual Open Space on Virtual Open Space)
- Distribute information on OS and OSI via mail, e-mail, http://www.openspaceworld.org, OpenSpaceWorld.ning.com, and this working space
- Provide information on OS workshops
- Support OS access to the underserved (e.g., workshops, materials, conferences)
- Access Queen - offering financial support for travel to international practice conference
- Support the OSLIST email listserve and Ning Site
- Attract Membership
- Support research on OS